Monday 28 March 2016

Kum.Varshini’s first concert at Mahalingapuram Iyappan Temple



Not all dreams come true in our life.  I did not aspire to become a superstar in my professional career nor in my personal life.  I had toughest times in my life and happiest moments too.  Just turned back and see the “takeaways”, it was God’s grace and my parents blessings; I overcome these situations with minimum loss.   

I need to thank my wife for whatever Iam today.  My kids are so lucky to have her as their mother.

When I felt  my daughter had an interest in music, I thought to put her under  a proper guru.  It all culminated when In dubai, I took  her to “Abhirami Andhadhi” class where she was taught the whole AA in different rAgAs.  Each and every 5 verses were tuned in a rAgA and she could learn it quickly and recite it without referring the book. 

Sanjay subramaniam, in his MA speech last year, had mentioned that students who learn music should not be thinking of singing in Music Academy immediately.  So, I knew this well before when my daughter was young and was very clear about the process for my daughter’s music career !!!.  I slowly build my dreams and I don’t want this to fade away !!!!

Those days, she was also interested in Bharathanatyam class and Dubai was abuzz with those classes, I also allowed her to learn this.

After moving to Chennai, I made it a point to give her proper training in music and she got Smt.Saraswathy, a disciple and relative of Sri.Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer.  She underwent training for 2-3 years.  She was able to bag many awards like SIMA (Smt Sudha ragunathan presented the award), schools and colleges etc and also tried all the leading sabhAs.  Though unsuccessful, I always remembered Sanjay’s quote above.

As the teacher was ill and hospitalized and could not take classes for sometime, I put her under Smt.Padma Narayanaswamy, wife and disciple of Shri.Palakkad K.V.Narayanaswamy.
I should say a few words about her Guru.  She is so devoted to music. She imbibed the bhakthi part from Shri KVN and music automatically came free to her.  She makes it a point to go to Thyagaraja samAdhi once in a year and also Orirukkai, mahA periavA’s place at Kanchipuram as a reciprocal promise to her music career.

She is very serious customer and takes the best out of every student.

Varshini has been learning still under her and I could see her improvement in each and every class.  As I know little Carnatic music because of may be, my birth place, Semmangudi, I have been closely monitoring her improvement.

My kula deivam-is varagoor perumAl.  We conduct Tarangini utsavam every year, where the kritis of Shri.Narayan Teerthar were sung by eminent personalities.  I made it a point to put my daughter to give half and hour slot to sing Tarangams.
It was the most memorable and the first step for her to swim the ocean of Carnatic music.  In 2016 january month Tarangini function, she could sing a keeravani ragam followed by “Damodhara tavaga”.. a famous kriti of Saint Teerthar.

So, I thought of taking her to a concert level and the day came.

Smt.Padma Narayanaswamy arranged an hour concert in Mahalingapuram Iyappan temple on 26th March 2016.

It was my dream to see daughter to give a programme. Her training, under her Guru. Smt.Padma Narayanswamy shaped her well as she was ready to give an hour programme in Mahalingapuram Iyappan temple.

I have written so many review. It is a thrill to write my daughter’s review !!

Violin-Smt Balam                                                                         
Mridhangam-Smt. Rajam (sister of Flute maestro Ramani)

sarajinAbhA- Nattai- Patnam Subramanya Iyer
Sriranjani raga for 2 minutes- Gajavadhana karunA-papanasam Sivan-Swaram in Gajavadhana
ThyAgarAjAya namastE-bEgadA-MD
kalyAni-Main-Nidi chAla sukhama-Thyagarajar-neraval in mamata bandan yuga followed by swaram.
ungal puzhakkadai-anandha bhairavi-AndAl
mAdhava mAmava-NT
Sri Ramachanukku-mangalam

Nice to see Rajam mami congratulated her after finishing the kalyAni ragam.

I don’t see any problem in her concert. Her throw and attitude were good. No fear was one attitude for the new singers. Fortunately, she did not have that on that day.  KalyAni swaram had few hiccups, but it was nothing compared to her stage presence and presentation.
God bless her. I was immensely happy and it was my lucky day to be there at the venue to take the blessings of Lord Guruvayarooppan and Lord Iyappan and listen to the KVN bhAni.



No comments: