Monday 30 November 2015

G R Sastrigal- IInd Year Remembrance



Today, 30th November 2015, is the second death anniversary of my Grandfather.  Looking back and see the two years is more taxing because each and every day, after his demise, made me to feel  how much I missed him.
Getting older, I  feel if I continue to imbibe some of his good qualities, I shall feel pride in this Janmam.  How he had many good qualities form his early age and continued to practice till his death, which we could not at this age.  Now, I feel I should have started some of his good habits 10 years back so that presently, I shall be matured in this life.
What Iam taking about is – life of detachment. Looking so philosophical!.  In a way, yes.  When we perform homam in any important rituals, we are asked to say “idhan na mamA which means “Not mine”. So,  we are time and again reminded to live by chanting “it is not mine”, sense of detachment.
Water in the lotus leaf or a famous rudram mantra- “trayambhagam yajamahE”  all these explain to us to live a detached life. GRS lived this.
 He is adamant to perform his nithya karmA including usual pUjAs.  As a sastrigal, he had to go many places irrespective of the time and distance.   Semmangudi, a small hamlet between Kumbakonam and Tiruvarur, being his base, he had to move around 5-10 kilo meters, by walk, to perform the rituals of his clients.
The important point here is his tenacity not to miss his daily rituals.  He was firm that these rituals were for him and for the betterment of his family.  The outing is for earning income.  He drew a clear line between these two and firm to fulfill this.
What we do, now a days, we are more concerned to do outside job for earning and completely forgot to do our rituals.  In order to please our Corporate Boss, we forgot to obey the inside God.  Daily sandhyavandhanam is some how a gone syllabus in nowadays ritual school. 
Today, I could go and participate in the anniversary and had food.  In my spiritual life, Iam slowly improving which is evident from the blessings from Him. 
Appa, (fondly call him).  Please continue to shower your blessings.  Never take your eyes off me and also to your daughters.
The love your daughters show even today is astounding.  You are a true father, true spiritual leader for us. 
Thanks for being with us and continue to be with us in some other form.

No comments: