Monday 2 March 2015

Two movies - A Wednesday and Dhrushyam – Unique Comparison

When I meant by “Unique comparison” it means I wanted to mention the similarity portrayed in an unusual and startling way, like two arrows starting from different directions attacking the same point.

When I saw the film Wednesday, Nasiruddin shah’s (NS) classic, I was taken back by his superb acting and the story woven around him. Anupham kher (AK) and NS carried that film so beautifully and one could take his/her eyes off from the film and it was a delight, though the concept was lawfully debatable.

When the Malayalam fim Drishyam released, it was a huge success and almost all media were paying praises in heaps. It also added value when the film was remade in Telugu and Tamil. When I write this, Tamil movie has not been released and actor like Kamal Hassan in the lead role, this, yet to be released, film would be a roaring success. Unforunately, those see and admired “Drishyam” will not reciprocate this in “pApa nAsam”. I found this when Kamal remade “Wednesday”. I did not like the latter because NS originality in his acting was missing in Kamal’s.

Coming back, Iam not a Malayalam movie maddy, though I like Malayalam movies. I stay away from these because of language problem. Words like “anvEshichu; Rakshappattu, nasippichchu, are lovely words to pronounce, without knowing the meaning, there is not much to comment. Moreover, I don’t have time to see films.

When I had been to Guruvayoor recently, my father was searching for a DVD of Dhrushyam and there, I wanted to buy a dvd and send it to my father. I could not get there and not search for more places because of tight schedule.

After coming back to Chennai, I got the “pirated version” at no time as our office is situated right opposite of Burma Bazaar, the famous bazaar for pirated CDs and DVDs.

I purchased one CD with English subtitles and saw that film. I was completely moved with the film. The portrayal of characters coupled with the intelligent script, made me a fan to the Director. Mohan Lal is one actor I always adore. Iam one of the die-hard fans of Mohan lal and some of his films like Kireedam, High Highness Abdullah and dasaratham are still in my memory because of the

sheer acting of LalEttA.

When I was thinking of that beautiful movie, I suddenly remembered “Wednesday”. I thought the main character NS and Mohan lal had a same “mind-set”. NS wanted to protect the country from Terrorists and he planned in such a way without police nabbing him. Mohan lal also wanted to protect his family from a “local-terrorist” without police identifying him. Both are ordinary gentle men and they learnt life from their “surroundings” like for NS, it is the train, for ML it is Cable centre.

As I told you, the route is different, but the ultimate Goal is only one, to protect someone at any cost. There are different directions as I mentioned Like Mumbai, the congested city and for Dhushyam, some village in Kerala- ML loved his family and determined to protect at any cost and NS loved his friend and determined to take revenge. Revenge is another way of protecting the public.

Both are composed and very clear in what they are doing. Actors like Mohan Lal and Nasiruddin shah are assets in our country.

I need to tell a word about the villain in Dhrushyam. SahadEvan, the police constable who dislikes Mohanlal and when a chance comes, he beats ML ruthlessly. End of the movie, we hate that Police Villain. That was the definition of villain, fan needs to hate. Famous actor in Tamil, Nambiar, used to say this and also to be seen from movies especially with MGR.

No comments: