Tuesday 28 July 2015

A Tribute to MSV - Part I



It is hard to forget MSV in my life.  My school life was woven around his music.  As a village boy, without even knowing what is a train, till I finished my 10th Standard, a TV size radio was the only pet.  I used to tune slowly to listen to some songs, movie dialogues etc.,

Even after 10 days of his demise, I still remember MSV when I get up from my bed. Some of the feelings, you cannot share it with your relatives/friends.  Buried in your heart. Such an impact MSV created in me.  He was a genius.  Classical music seed was sown by him and by K V Mahadevan in my blood. 

Today as I show keen interest in Carnatic music and has seen inner peace and tranquility in my soul, the seed was sown by MSV positively.  Let me just narrate three songs in his film karnan, Shivaji starrer.

Ennuir thozhi- Amir kalyani beauty from P.Susheela
Marai kodukkam- Hindolam, hamsananadhi, kanada- three verses in praise of Karnan, to describe his genorisity.
uLLathil nall uLLam- Ahir bairavi beauty by Sirkazhi Govindarajan.

A small “U” turn to discuss the following songs from Tiruvilayadal, a film which was tuned by K.V.Mahadevan

Pattum nANE- Gowrimanohari, beautify song by TMS
Oru NAAl podhumA- darbAr, Todi, mohanam by evergreen Balamurali Krishna
Isai tamizh- Abheri

When the transition happened from KV Mahadevan to MS Viswanathan, it was smooth, unobtrusive and the latter continued the same flavor.

I made the above comparison to tell the fact that MSV did not destroy the classical flavor but produced some brilliant songs in Karnatic raga and non-karnatic based

He slowly mesmerized the music lovers and without even knowing brought melodies in to our heart.

Saravana poigayil neerAdi- idu sathyam- Brilliant song by P.Susheela
Van pOlave- Uyarndha manidhan-another beauty by P.Susheela
Enna enna varthaigalO-Vennera adai- Sridhar’s direction and again Susheela’s mastry

The above songs tell you the “thinking process” of a genius called MSV


I feel those residing outside India, would be missing MSV soulfully because they listen to more Tamil songs than here in India.  I personally experienced in my 6 years stay in Dubai.  On my hectic travel and away from my family, wife, new born baby, the only solace was MSV’s music.

I had, in Dubai,  MP3 of MSV (duo) music and played in my car and laughed, stunned, cried with his songs.  His pAsa malar songs made me feel the absence of a sister in my life.
His “andha nAl” song from Uyarndha manithan made me to remember my good old school days.

As S.Janaki in her tribute says “There are many memories left to be discussed, many songs left to be played. Anything in world is not enough to describe everything about this genius!!. Sir, thanks for such great songs. –

(to be continued)

No comments: