Thursday 4 December 2014

A Suryanarayan- Exit of a Gentleman

In my career, I have seen many of my seniors left from the Organisatisation and I did not have the habit of writing “Service obituary” for those. There are no many reasons for a person, of any position, leave. I, too, left so many Companies on my own for so many other reasons.

I don’t know why I feel ASN’s exit as CEO of my Company created a sort of vacuum in my heart. We all love our staff whether seniors/Juniors in our office. ASN is another person, as a passenger in a train ,of our life. But, his exit made me to write oat least one page for him.

ASN joined as CEO a year and half back. The Company, basically, has been reeling under difficult times with overall economic scenario being bad and also some of the existing projects resulted in loss. Someone, joining at this juncture, as CEO, one might have to weigh the situation and start taking drastic action.

We were all reeling under lot of pressure and planning to bring this Company to a better level.

The Company witnessed least 3 CEO in the past 4 years that shows the pressure situation. He, as soon as joined, wanted to review each and every line of the project specs and tried to diffuse the problem areas immediately.

ASN has held many high positions in few companies in our Group. With great reputation to his credit, his joining in this company was the unanimous choice of the Group.

He could see the problems from the very bottom and started correcting it one by one. Very interesting to observe his weekly meetings and way, he stood by his decisions. Many meetings with me, as a Finance head, provided a great experience for me too.

His monthly meeting was also methodical. He never compromised on vague replies by the Project Manager and instead, attempted a conf-call and finalized the point.

It is not something uncommon to CEOs but what is important was that he did with a calm approach. He never got emotional and he had an excellent sense of humour without smiling. Rarely, you see a person with that attitude.

Under tremendous stressful situation, he looked like having a “deep ocean syndrome”. Very calm and not such type of yelling at a person and complain about x to y or vice versa.

It was unfortunate that he could not go well with his colleagues, especially next level in all departments. Some controls, he brought, was not liked by all. He did not trust anyone at first sight and with the past records of some executives, ASN started exercising stricter approach to him.

In a corporate environment, you take some decisions, proceed in a way and that might work or back fire. A Company of our nature, either way, it should not work.

He might have shown more control notwithstanding the reciprocation he got from others and demanded more. He could have involved them in decision making instead he distanced the Head of other Departments that proved fatal to him.

For me, he is a great person. I moved well within him and never shown any disrespect and delayed my deliverables. I cherish those days I spent with him in the conference room. I knew, by my heart, that his decisions are good for the Company in the long run. If he had wholehearted support of his next lever and a collection decision making would have made things better…

Thank you sir, I learnt how to be calm and prosaic to achieve the mighty task. You are an amazing person for me, worth a page or two for you in my blog.



No comments: